Tuesday 3 July 2012

Fake it and it will come...

So it turns out putting on a smile actually makes you feel happier. Just by activating the smile muscles, our little pea-brains figure we must be happy and release the necessary hormones and neurons start firing and, VOILA! We feel happy.

By the same token, it seems that I can make myself feel energetic and athletic. No, really, I think I can! I decided to go for a run the other evening and as I was getting out my running clothes I discovered I didn't much feel like a run. Feeling a bit tired and lazy. But I persevered. I put on the super-tight running tights I now wear, squeezed into the none-too-sexy sports bra, slipped on my trainers and tied them up. Then I stood up to discover my reflection in the mirror: hey, who's she? I suddenly felt the part, felt like I should; be going out running and sure enough, just as the theory says, I started to feel more energetic.

I ended up having a very good, very energetic run. I had one of those euphoric moments where the sights and sounds and smells were captivatingly beautiful even though I was sweaty and panting from climbing a rather serious hill. Be it the accomplishment or the endorphins, no matter, I was having a great time and all because I got dressed.

If we fake the mood, maybe we really can create it.

No comments:

Post a Comment