Friday 17 February 2012

Our Honeymoon - My New Relationship with Food

I have come to realise that I am not merely eating different food or the same food differently. I have actually forged a new relationship with food.

In this new relationship, I am less needy.

What I need from food is different.

Comfort Eating
I have always known that I eat for comfort in times of joy, sadness, boredom, frustration, exhaustion, elation... seems like most of the time food would be a friend, good company.

I am not yet sure what I will turn to in times of extreme emotion, but so far I am reaching for food less often. And it does not leave me lonely. I am not missing the comfort.

High Expectations
I don't need so much from each meal. Each meal used to mean so much more than it should have. It had to be so yummy and such a treat - health be damned!

I am now perfectly happy for my food to be tasty and healthful and satisfying. It does not need to satisfy any internal need except hunger. It does not have to be a treat every time or the perfect meal every time.

This means that I am now willing to try recipes, to risk a meal on something new. Much more fun!


I am conscious that we are enjoying our honeymoon period: I am giddy with excitement for our future, enthusiasm for how much we can accomplish together. Our relationship will no doubt settle into a more sustainable, mellow partnership. I just hope that we are committed enough to make it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment