Saturday 3 March 2012

My Reflection

I am struck by a desire to reflect a little today. But rather than my new and almost unrecognisable reflection in the mirror, I am referring to the past year and half of my life. There have been some very significant events and changes recently that have brought me to this point in my life and I want to consider briefly the route that I have travelled.

19 months ago my son was born. The most beautiful, sweet, perfect little boy. My memory of his first few days - and weeks even - is a bit hazy, however, as I hemorrhaged following delivery and suffered significant blood loss. Thinking back, I was in a lot of danger and had I been in another part of the world without a caregiver as wonderful as my midwife whose skill stopped my bleeding I most certainly would have died.

Not even three months later my husband suffered a heart attack which led to cardiac arrest. Basically he dropped dead in our friends' living room. The paramedics worked magic and kept his body alive using CPR and eventually brought his heart back to life with an automated external defibrillator (AED). Two stents-later thanks to the miracles of modern science he's now fully recovered and fit as ever.

Looking back, my sweet girl and boy almost lost both of their parents in the short span of only three months. We are so lucky. So unbelievably lucky.

I suffered some pretty serious after-shocks from all of this. I wonder if it was PTSD, or some form of it. I was a bit of a nervous wreck, quite frankly. Kind of nixed the joys of mat leave home with my two sweet cherubs.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment