Wednesday 28 March 2012

I Used to Wonder about Joggers, "Where are You Going in Such a Hurry?"

Before this journey began, I would have scoffed at the idea of running: "Run?! Pah! No way!"  

Now I love this part of my life. So much in fact that I notice a decline in my level of contentment if I do not get out for a run at least every second day. I get moody and grumpy and, quite frankly, people start to urge me to get out pound the pavement!

What changed?

I think the simplest most honest answer is: everything changed. Everything has changed for me physically but also mentally. I have more energy, more motivation, more determination. I believe these things come partly from the improved physical condition but tied in with it all is my new-found contentment. I am happy and want to find more ways to nourish that. And one way I have found is to challenge and push my body.

Pushing myself physically used to be constant: walking up stairs was a push. And there was no pride or satisfaction in the accomplishment. Oh how things have changed! Now I push myself and am rewarded with genuine pride, delight, scream-from-the-rooftops excitement. And not because I am fit. That came later. Because I am pushing myself to do things I did not think possible and you know what? It is possible. I felt the same consuming satisfaction when I completed my first couch-to-5-k learn-to-run session in which you walk almost the whole time. But the sense of accomplishment, I got out and did it, was so utterly wonderful and kind of unfamiliar.

How often do we accomplish, not 'do' but actually 'accomplish' something that is for ourselves and really and truly not for anyone else? It's a wonderful feeling! And it is a feeling I am annoying regularly now through my running. Who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment