Tuesday 6 March 2012

Shopping while Shrinking and Bargain Hunting

If you are losing weight, thrift stores provide a very affordable way to 'rent' clothes while you are dropping sizes but not yet at your goal.  This was one of the most fun parts for me - I've been recreating my wardrobe as I've been losing weight and I've had to re-donate items along the way as I shrunk out of them too!

I could never afford to buy new and I have had to completely replace my wardrobe. Lucky for me, I was already bargain hunter, it's in my blood. I spent Saturdays as a little girl cruising the garage sales with my Grandma and my Mom. Now my Mom and I shop at thrift stores for most household and fashion items (Value Village being my shop of choice).  

A couple of tips to the wise to make bargain shopping work for you:
  • You have to spend the time & be patient.  It may take a while to find stuff and you really do have to rifle through all the items on the rack but it is so worth it!
  • It is best to just go to "browse" since you may be disappointed if you are looking for something too specific.  I keep a list of stuff I'd like to find and it may take a couple of visits.
  • Keep an eye out for their frequent-flyer-type promotions, an extra 30% off makes the bargains that much sweeter!
  • Quality items are in there.  I often flick through the hangers just reading labels and then stop to investigate labels I know and love or ones I don't recognise in case I have found a gem.

The extra effort is worth it.  My wardrobe is now stocked with brands I could never afford - Esprit, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein & Ralph Lauren jeans - and all for $10-15 for a typical dress or trousers!  Less for separates.  

And you get to feel really good because you're "going green" by reusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment