Monday 23 January 2012

Up Off the Couch - It's a Big Climb

I am so active now and love it - but why wasn't I before?

It is not like I was unaware that physical fitness was good for me, body and mind. I was fully aware that it would enable me to lose weight, live longer, be happier. So what was stopping me? What is this laziness that so restricted me?

I guess solving that is a bit of a grand desire and I should just be pleased that I have become active. The things that seem to have a positive impact for me:

  • Working towards a goal. So far I've had a race planned ahead of me all the time and that has provided the focus to my training.

  • Having a routine. From the beginning of my running with the Couch to 5K program (NHS Choices), I have been running three times a week. This is the expectation I have maintained and I think in my mind it is set as an immovable task.

  • Setting the priority. Right from the start my husband and family enabled me to make my running a priority and have supported me as it often trumped other activities.

  • Varying the route. I know my boredom threshold and have put effort and thought into keeping my routes varied to try to avoid a rut. Running with friends or a group helps as they show me new routes. It's worked so far!

  • Having company and sometimes not. I find I can run very long distances without really thinking about it as long as I have someone chatting with me, or even better chatting to me!
  • Commitment to others. Making plans to meet makes me feel at the time like it's a done deal, no question.


  • Welcome distractions. Some people like the sounds of their surroundings. Some like music and as I find better running music so do I. But my favourite distraction when running alone is audiobooks. Find a good one and it's so easy to get absorbed in it and the running slides into the background!

  • Stick to what works. I really did pay attention early on to my training by keeping a log. This enabled me to identify nutrition and personal routines that have a positive or negative impact on training. Now I put that knowledge to good use!

  • The rush of accomplishment. I've been setting and realising goals all along and the rush of that success lasts for ages propelling me on to the next one. Recently I ran over the Lions Gate Bridge on my own, a feat that had felt big and difficult to me. At the top of the bridge I cried a little and almost did the Rocky air-punches in sheer delight. I was smiling so much on that run I practically had bugs in my teeth! What a rush!!! And sometimes I get the same buzz from hill work: conquering a big hill feels great! Who wouldn't want to get off the couch to feel like this great?



Having said all of this I can only think of a couple if times when getting out was a struggle. Perhaps I know well enough now what a benefit it will be so find it easier to get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment